Following the trend of healthy food of yesterday’s post, Avocado Smash comes in for a fresh, tasty addition to our light but tasty diet. Thankfully I’m writing about this, not speaking about this wonderful toast as my mouth is full of it and I just can’t stop eating. It’s addicting!
I didn’t know either that Aussies were so into Avocados. I’m starting to like Aussies more and more. I’m a huge Avocado fan, and one of my favorite ways of having them are smashed on top of toast. In most Australian coffee shops you’ll find Avocado Smash listed on their menus.
It’s a fantastically simple dish to make. It almost feels like cheating for me to present this as a recipe, because it can be done in minutes and it involves basically no knowledge of cooking to make it. It’s a perfect breakfast dish for a busy work day. Simple, yet very fulfilling and jammed with flavours.
You may have noticed the Poached Egg on top and wonder, why did he mentioned this is easy when poaching an egg can be one of the most challenging techniques of cooking it? Well, I have a confession to make, I suck at poaching eggs! That is at poaching them the regular way. I’ve tried many times and usually fail. But then I found this wonderful technique that makes the process so easy. I do it in the microwave, it’s saves me time and frees my hands to work on other things in the kitchen.
So once the poaching is out of the way, the rest is easy peasy. Mash the avocados in a bowl with some lemon juice, salt, pepper and a bit of feta cheese. Slice tomatoes, fry some bacon and toast bread. Then put everything on top of each other, pour some coffee and you are ready for the best way to start your day. With yummy Australian Avocado Smash!
- 1 tbsp vinegar
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 slices of bread
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Start by poaching the eggs. Use the microwave method to save time and minimize errors. In a microwave safe bowl, pour 2 - 3 cups of the hottest tap water possible and the vinegar. Heat in the microwave for 5-6 minutes until the water boils. Meanwhile place an egg in a small dish such as a ramekin. When the water boils, stir the water with a spoon in circular motions to create a tiny twister in the center. Immediately place the egg right in the center of the twirling water and put the bowl back in the microwave for 30 - 40 seconds. Carefully remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon. Repeat with remaining eggs, you don't need to re-boil the water at this point.
- Place the bacon slices in a skillet and turn the heat to medium. Fry it until it's nice and browned, about 4 minutes each side. Place in a dish with paper towels to remove excess fat. Then break into bits.
- Brush the bread slices with the bacon oil remaining in the skillet. Toast it on a grill, skillet or regular toaster.
- Cut the avocados in half, remove the seeds and spoon it out from the peel using a spoon. Place it on a bowl and add the feta cheese, lemon juice, cayenne, salt and pepper. Smash the avocados with the spoon until creamy but leave some avocado pieces unmashed.
- Finally place each toast on a plate. Top with avocado smash, bacon bits, tomato slices and poached egg. Sprinkle with some extra salt and pepper. EAT!